One of my children has ADHD. Managing his condition over the years has been challenging, but as he gets older it’s getting a little better. Why do I mention this? Because sometimes I wonder if I have a bit of it myself. I used to say that it took me 35 years to figure out what I wanted to be when I grew up. I had that dream job for two years, until a regime change at my company orchestrated a reorganization and my job changed. Now, I don’t know what I want.
Do what you love. Find your passion. Convergence. How can I do what I love or find my passion when I seem to change my mind every few years? And how can I ask my husband to put up with (another) career change? One that may have a significant negative effect on our family finance. What about all the work and sacrifices we’ve made to get me where I am now? (Getting my CMA and MBA as a mom was a joint effort, I promise!) And what if, in five more years, I don’t love what I’m doing? What then?
I had a flash of inspiration last Monday – perhaps I could find a way to turn my passion for running, and triathlon, plus my personal weight loss success, into a viable side hustle. I’ve been writing a healthy living/fitness blog for 18 months but have never made an effort to monetize it. I’m not even sure I want to.
So what can I do? how can I find a way to turn my passion into a decent side income? I started brainstorming, and came up with some ideas:
- Menu plans. When you’re trying to lose weight, food is where you have to start. Not all diets suit all people, which is one of the reasons the weight loss industry is worth billions. But custom weekly menu plans? I thought this was viable.
- Running instructor. Our local running store offers regular clinics and needs group leaders and instructors.
- Triathlon coach (online or in person). If there is a coach in Winnipeg who does this, I’ve never seen an ad. I figure we can’t be the only triathletes who’d like a coach.
- Yoga instructor. I love yoga, and at least one of my studios offers instructor classes.
- Personal trainer. Same idea as 2, 3, & 4.
All of these are things related to my hobbies and passions. It sounds good – bit can I do this? Stay tuned for the Plan!